I love the way the seasons change how we eat. It’s winter here in Australia and we are enjoying lots of soups and tagines. I think soup is the ultimate comfort food in the colder months. Served with some crusty bread, it’s perfect for lunch or dinner and it it’s an instant mood booster. This zucchini soup is one of our favourites, which is amazing as the kids are not too keen on green vegetables most of the time. Try this one. It’s a winner!
1 medium brown onion
2 cloves garlic diced
6 large zucchini, diced
4 large potatoes, diced
Vegetable stock (1-1.5 litres)
A big handful of parsley, finely diced
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Chop up the onion, garlic, zucchini and potatoes.
2. Sautee onion and garlic for a few minutes over medium heat in large saucepan.
3. Add zucchini and potatoes to saucepan and sweat for a few minutes
4. Pour in vegetable stock and slowly bring to the boil
5. Simmer uncovered for about 15-20 mins or until vegetables are soft
6. Season with salt and pepper and add half of your chopped parsley
7. Allow to cool before transferring to blender, or use hand held stick blender to puree.
8. Add remainder of parsely to soup if your kids don’t mind it being visible!
9. Serve with crusty sour dough loaf or bruschetta, or my silver beet frittata!
Be sure to follow NASD on Facebook and together let’s celebrate the messy, mundane and momentous moments of parenting.