Hip, Hip, Hooray, it’s my 5th blogiversary today!
That I have kept this blog alive for five entire years surprises nobody more than myself. I never would have predicted it would become such an enduring hobby/job/passion.
You see, I didn’t actually plan to start a blog. And I am a planner! Love lists, love plans. But the blog kind of chose me. I mean, who on earth has time to write a blog when she has three kids under the age of three?! It’s almost as nuts as actually having three kids in less than three years! Really, common sense should have prevailed…
I blame my sister; the blog was her idea. She suggested it one afternoon and that night, when the kids were ticked up in bed, I typed into Google: “How to start a blog”. Within the hour I had chosen a theme, template and my blog was born. For about a week it was called ‘Musings on motherhood’. Then I got clever, at least I thought so, and relaunched it under the name “Not another slippery dip.” At that stage of my parenting tenure I spent more time than I cared for at playgrounds, and my kids loved my full involvement. In many ways I felt the “Slippery dip” mirrored life’s ups and downs. And here I am five years on…
NASD celebrates 5 years of blogging
In five years I have written around 300 posts. Many of them are funny. Some of them are informative. All of them are honest. The most popular post by far is a post I wish I never had to write. All miscarriages matter has been read by thousands of people worldwide and is the post I am most proud of. In five years I have:
- Written 300 posts
- Reached hundreds of thousands of mamas all across the world
- Been a finalist in the Bupa Blog awards
- Had my much-wanted rainbow baby
- Shared many highs and lows, triumphs and tribulations.
In celebration of five years, I am including links to my favourite five posts. If you’ve missed any of these posts, I highly recommend reading them. There’s something for everyone in this mix!
- Gestational Limbo: The anticipation of miscarriage. Though it is one of my saddest experiences, I am very proud of this post. It has resonated with so many women and I am committed to sharing my experience of pregnancy loss to helped to normalise around miscarriage grief.
- 21 things I love about newborns. Because I am a SUCKER for newborns, this is another fave. Watch the video. Warning: it may trigger an ovary explosion.
- The 5 most stressful things after birth. Giving birth is scary, but it is only the initiation. Here are the most stressful obstacles to overcome in the 72 hours post birt
- A story about conception. I love this story as it’s where my mothering journey began…. almost 9 years ago with those two life-changing blue lines.
- Kids. Who’s have ’em? Linking back my very first post. This post, which launched the blog, and written in a sleep-deprived fog (so please excuse the grammar). It’s no literary piece, but it does speak to exhaustion and tedium of new motherhood.
A huge THANK YOU for being part of NASD. My community is the reason I keep blogging, so thank you for your vital contribution. Thanks for sticking with me through the slippery dips of parenting. I have created a body of stories that connect, entertain, inspire and teach thousands of people every week. Thank you, my lovely readers. Thank you for making NASD so much more than a blog. You make it a conversation. You make it a community.
Hip, Hip, Hooray!!
PS Head to the NASD Facebook page for your chance to win a $100 hardtofind gift voucher in celebration of my blogiversary! GOOD LUCK!
How long have you been following NASD? Do you have a favourite post or topic? I’d love to hear from you more than ever today so please do comment 🙂