One of my ‘go-to’ weekly meals is omething whipped up with eggs. Quiche, omelette and frittatas are all good, easy options. Now that Miss A is no longer allergic to eggs, I can happily use this versatile ingredient. Recently I made this Silverbeet & Feta frittata and it was a hit! The girls demolished it and I got to feel extra smug knowing the silver beet was home grown 🙂 I dedicated much time to my veggie patch recently, but thankfully this hearty green seems to grow without much assistance.
8-10 large eggs
50g marinated feta
50g grated cheddar cheese
1 massive bunch of silver beet (approx 20 stalks), finely chopped, stalks removed
2 cloves garlic, finely diced or minced
1. Preheat grill to medium/high setting or, oven to 180˚C.
2. In a bowl, combine the eggs, cream and cheese, and season to taste.
3. Place a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter and cook silverbeet with garlic for approximately 2 minutes until wilted.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and gently shake pan to evenly distribute the mixture and cook for approx. 8 minutes until the bottom is set.
5. At this stage, add the marinated feta and gently press under the surface. When the frittata is starting to firm up around the edges, scatter parmesan cheese over the top.
6. Transfer the frying pan to the oven and cook under grill for a further 5 minutes until golden. Keep your eye on the frittata as oven/grill times vary greatly. You want it to be nicely coloured on top.
7. To serve, slide frittata onto a chopping board and cut into slices or serve directly from the pan at the table.
Serve with a nice green salad, a side of veggies, and a glass of your favourite plonk! Enjoy.