My darling Miss J,
As I write those words I feel it must be some sort of mistake. How can you possibly be eight years old already? I am sure you were born just yesterday. Never does the expression, “The days are long but the years are short” resonate more than on birthdays. If you are eight, then I must be old, really old. But lets not go there…
Have I told you about the time I saw stars? Apparently these flashes of light are quite common during a fainting spell. But what’s not common is fainting during the “pushing”stage of labour. Which is precisely how I came to see stars at your birth. The midwife on duty said that in her 30 years of delivering babies she had never seen a woman faint at the pointy end of labour! But I’ve never been one to follow the script. When I came to, you were placed on my chest and the earth literally shook. My entire body trembled (a side effect of shock) and I saw stars…so many stars!!
Looking back it’s fitting that I saw stars during your birth. Because I have continued to see stars wherever you go. Your big, bright eyes are magnetic stars. They dart and dance all day long, brimming with curiosity and love. They speak before words form in your mouth. You eyes are the windows to your soul and reveal a very special young girl. And they brighten up my world. I adore your eyes almost as much, if not more, than your curls. Which is to say A LOT. Your eyes brighten up my world.
My friend nicknamed you “Sparky” because of your shiny eyes. But it wasn’t all rainbows and sunshine, especially in the early years. You were a “live wire” – reactive and highly charged (read: explosive). But over the years this side of your personality has mellowed. You are calm, curious and considered. And you exude an enthusiasm for life that takes my breath away, quite literally at times!
You write me love notes almost daily. If you keep this up I will have an entire rainforest dedicated to your love for me. I treasure these “love declarations”. You are so generous with your warmth and affection. You thank me for filling your bucket each day, so grateful are you for the simplest things. I tell you that my bucket is overflowing, dripping with your love. You insist you love me more than I love you. Sometimes I protest, and other times I indulge you, knowing full well this is not possible. For how could any child truly understand the magnitude of a mother’s love?
Miss J, thank you for being YOU. Thank you for bringing love and joy to our family, and to everyone around you. Today is YOUR day to shine. I love you more than I can express in words. Have bucket loads of fun being eight.
Love, Mama xx
8 Fast Facts:
- You are fiercely loyal to your sisters, who are your best friends. Sister power is alive and thriving in our home.
- You still HATE bananas. You won’t even pass me one from the fruit bowl such is your loathing for this fruit.
- You are a perfectionist and get upset when your performance is anything less than perfect. Please don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Your favourite game to paly at home is “Hotels.” I love it too. You insist I play the role of a hotel guest while you dote on me, bringing wine, cheese and “shampane”. I love this game.
- You are a quiet student…so very quiet in the classroom. But outside of school, my goodness you are LOUD. Your voice booms and ricochets off the walls. #dontwakethebaby!! This would surprise your teachers greatly.
- You LOVE having a baby sister. You are immensely proud of her and love showing her off to your friends.
- You are a beautiful dancer. Your results in Tap and Ballet exams this year were outstanding. It’s a joy to watch you dance.
- This year you joined the Choir at school. This was a big step for you as you experience anxiety in front of crowds. But you are loving it. And it was a very #proudmamammoment seeing you take the stage for the first time.
- Bonus fact: I love you more! #truthbomb