As many of you know, I have been on an elimination diet to see if bubba has a Cows Milk Protein Intolerance (CMPI). It has not been easy. More on the superhuman effort it is to do an elimination diet later. I have found many dairy substitutes and recently I shared with you these delicious dairy free chocolate brownies. Oh my goodness they are lip smackingly good. So, there is hope for flavour without dairy! I am finding dinners the hardest, especially coming up with variety. I am a vegetarian but I do cook meat for the girls and Mr NASD. Often I have fish in lieu of meat, or something like these easy zucchini fritters, which are dairy free. But, when I make these babies, the whole family wants in. Fritters are ALWAYS a crowd pleaser. I make a big batch and freeze some for future nights. Try these, and for a non-dairy version, add some parmesan or haloumi for extra yumminess.
Easy Zucchini Fritters – Dairy Free
- • 4 cups shredded zucchini (around 4 large zucchinis)
- • 2/3 cups plain flour
- • 2 eggs (large), lightly beaten
- • 3 sliced spring onions, plus 2 tbsp mixed green herbs (parsley & basil)
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil (for frying in batches)
- - Coarsely grate the zucchinis using a block grater.
- - Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle the zucchini lightly with salt. Allow the zucchini to stand for 10 minutes. Using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible. Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl.
- - Add the flour, eggs, spring onions and herbs stirring until the mixture is combined. Season with salt and pepper. Line a plate with paper towels.
- - Add the olive oil to large saucepan set over medium heat. Once the oil is a hot, scoop 3-tablespoon mound of the zucchini mixture into the pan, pressing them lightly into rounds and spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Cook the zucchini fritters for 3-4 minutes, then flip them once and cook an additional few minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- - Transfer the zucchini fritters to the paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle them with salt.
- - Repeat the scooping and cooking process with the remaining zucchini mixture.
- For a non dairy free version add Parmesan, feta or haloumi cheese to the zucchini mixture, or you can simply top the cooked fritters with some parmesan to serve.
If you’re after another zucchini dinner recipe, try this Turkish Zucchini slice,Turkish Zucchini slice, which requires more time and effort, but is chock-full of flavour and goodness. And be sure to follow NASD on insta, where I share a great deal of food porn.
Do you have any diet restrictions? What is your “go to” meal that the entire family will devour?