Everyone needs a quick and easy meal that can be whipped up mid week. It’s even better if you can include a few veggies in it, too. Look no further. The following recipe is guaranteed to please, possibly because it’s creamy and kids will eat anything drenched in cream. This is how I get my girls to eat vegetables and it’s delicious. If you want to make a healthier version of this recipe simply reduce the amount of cream you add, and increase the amount of stock. If I am not cooking this for the kids, I add a splash of wine after sautéing the mushrooms and reduce. You can also add a dash of grainy mustard for extra flavour.
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
300 grams button mushrooms (or mixed like enoki & oyster if your kids are adventurous) chopped
1 large zucchini, grated
200 ml pouring cream
100ml vegetable stock
1 tbs dried tarragon
1 tsp grainy mustard (optional)
1. Finely dice onion and garlic. Sautee in olive oil until onion softens.
2. Add diced mushrooms to the saucepan and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add grated zucchini (squeeze out excess liquid from zucchini) and continue to sautee for a few minutes.
4. Add stock and simmer for a minute or two, then add cream and bring to the boil. Simmer and reduce slightly.
5. Add dried tarragon and mustard if using.
6. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet instructions. Add pasta to saucepan and toss in the sauce
7. Serve with freshly grated parmesan. And a glass of your favourite drop!