I love a good banana cake. Often I make a simple banana loaf, which is pretty much perfect for any occasion. And sometimes I make banana and choc chip muffins, which are great as an afternoon snack, or for the kids’ lunch boxes. Over the long weekend we had friends coming over for afternoon tea and, along with a cheese platter, I wanted to bake a cake. I had a few bananas that were overripe which made banana cake the obvious choice. But I wanted to make it just a little bit fancier than my standard banana loaf. A friend of mine had forwarded me this recipe a while ago and I had been hankering to make this delicious honey and cinnamon buttercream icing. In this recipe she suggests making it with a carrot cake, which would be heavenly, but I thought i’d give it a go with banana cake. The result was lip-smacking amazing. Seriously, you need to make this icing. It is absolutely delicious and paired with the banana cake, the result is divine. I will write out the full recipe here for convenience but you can easily use your ‘go-to’ banana or carrot cake recipe and it’ll be perfect.
- 1 cup
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a round 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and side of the pan with non-stick baking paper.
Place the butter, sugar, banana, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor, and process for 2 minutes or until well combined. Add the buttermilk and process until combined.
- Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda, and process until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Shake the pan to settle the mixture. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly, before transferring the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
Honey and cinnamon buttercream icing
- 150g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (according to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup honey
- Beat butter a few minutes on high until fluffy, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Beat in cinnamon and salt until smooth.
- Add icing sugar a little at at time, stopping to scrape bowl down as needed.
- Stream in honey, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Once all ingredients are incorporated, beat on high speed for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
*Banana cake recipe from Taste
Are you following NASD on Instagram? If you’re not, you really should be 🙂