Hello! I’m Michaela, the creator and blogger behind not another slippery dip. I am a writer, baker, occasional crafter and mum to three vibrant girls. Welcome, I am so thrilled you’ve arrived here.
I started this blog shortly after my third daughter was born, and my eldest had not yet turned three! Life was – in a word – intense. The only time I had to myself was late at night, after my girls had fallen to sleep. One night, after enduring a painful bout of bronchitis I wrote this post about being sick with kids. So many mums related to my story and so I decided to create an online space to share more. Although I was neck-deep in nappies and chronically sleep deprived, writing energised me and became my creative outlet. It also provided a cheap form of self-therapy. By sharing my experiences and my emotions, I felt more at peace with them. And so here I am, embracing the messy, mundane and the momentous!
Not another slippery dip celebrates the many shades of motherhood. I believe in sharing the nuanced experiences; the good, the bad, the exasperating and the amazing. I began this blog when my life revolved around playgrounds and I think in many ways the slippery dip parallels life’s ups and downs. Motherhood is a deeply fulfilling experience but it is also challenging and confronting. It is made up of heydays and greydays and a lot of “average” days in between. I am a big believer in “good enough” parenting with more fun and less guilt. Motherhood does not exclusively define me, but it has profoundly changed me. In this space I hope to entertain and inspire you with honest and relatable stories. And I hope to help you navigate some of the bumps in your journey.
A bit about me
I am mother to Miss A (8), Miss J (6) and Miss H (5) and Miss I (6 months). Life is full, vibrant, colourful and noisy. Just the way I like it…
I believe that a happier family life is achieved when we slow down and play more.
I blog to create stories: Parenting is tough. It’s exhausting, relentless and demanding. It’s also joyous, fulfilling and intensely rewarding. It’s a complex journey, dotted with ups and downs.
I blog to capture time: I like to think that every time I write a post I am making a deposit into my children’s memory bank. I write to freeze some of these mothering moments in a time capsule.
I blog to connect with others: I believe connection is fundamental to surviving (and indeed enjoying) the many challenges and discoveries of parenthood.
I write about…
- The nuanced experience of motherhood
- Pregnancy & miscarriage
- Health & well-being
- The importance of play
- Family life – the messy, mundane & momentous!
A little bit more
- I live in a perpetual state of chaos, although my love of lists and planning means it’s a controlled state of chaos. Or so I think.
- My house is a home, not a showroom. It’s messy and will never grace the pages of a home magazine but it’s full of heart and colour.
- I believe in play. Messy play. Creative play. Physical play. Imaginative play. There’s time to be serious later on in life.
- I have a secret (well, not so secret) ambition to be a Play School presenter. But I’d need to graduate from NIDA first, so I’d need to actually get into NIDA first, which means I’d need to study acting first….. OK, perhaps that ship has sailed!
- I am one of five daughters and an auntie to 16 nieces and nephews.
- In my ‘former’ life, I studied creative writing at University, spent a year living in Vancouver, travelled to about 30 countries, worked in events/marketing, and enjoyed a very active social life.
- I met my husband at my cousin’s wedding and we were “set up”. The set up worked and we’ve been married for 8 years.
My favourite posts